3 March 2015

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTING YOUR BEAUTIFULLY CRAFTED HANDMADE CARDS

After some research I noticed that there are a few things I must bear in mind when I make a greetings card.

1.  PUT THE CLEVER STUFF ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE CARD



Generally speaking the recipient will stand the card on the mantlepiece with just the front showing, so if you have laboured long and hard over a spectacular inner to your card it will stay hidden from view and all your efforts will be in vain.
I have made some beautiful cards in my time with pop up and pop out inserts being the main attraction of the card, only to find them on the shelf with just the not so clever outside of the card showing.


2. MAKE THEM THE RIGHT SIZE TO FIT ON THE SHELF

 


Cards can only take up a certain amount of space.
The area available to most people for the display of cards is usually limited so if you have a card that pulls out a long way to the back or side the chances are, because it won't fit onto the shelf or takes up more than it's fair share of space the card will be viewed, admired and put back into the envelope.


3. MAKE IT VERY CLEAR HOW THE CARD SHOULD BE DISPLAYED




If you make any card that isn't purely a book or tent shape, ie an easel, shelf or any card that needs arranging on receipt, the chances are even when you provide instructions the recipient will not understand how to present the card and again the card will be popped back in the envelope.
I have been amazed at how some of my cards have been displayed.  The problem is that you have made the card, and  you know the way it should be arranged, but if you're not in the know ........... well.......??

I have tried printing instructions on the card itself.  But if you watch, the person will take the card out of the envelope and straight away try standing it up in either a book or tent like manner, overlooking the printed instructions.  
People don't look at the back of cards.

I have found that the best way is to make a wrapper for the card with instructions printed on it, so they have to be read before the card can be viewed.

SO.... bearing all this in mind, I try to make my cards 
a) clever on the outside
b) small enough to fit on any shelf and 
c) as easy to display as possible.

My research is still in progress, but since I've taken these ideas on board I've noticed that my cards have been much more appreciated as all my hard work is being shown of to best advantage. :0)


Please be kind - particularly if you download a freebie - and 'like' me on Facebook, Pinterest or Google+ or 'Stumble' upon me. 
 « The buttons are floating over there on the left - no excuses ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to leave a comment. They are all gratefully received as it helps me decide what to add next. Pop back again soon!